Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:55 PM   #1

I currently own the Sony 828 and before that an F717. I'm very happy with the 828 but at the same time lured by all that zoom. I like the idea of getting one of the mega zoom cameras currently on the market. The Panasonic FZ18 seems to be rated at the top IMO. Would this move be an up grade in zoom only or would I be taking a step back in picture quality?

I tend to over analyze and over read reviews.

Is there anything new or soon to be out on the horizon I could hold out for?

Certifi_able is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:42 PM   #2

The Sony F717 is a really nice camera - I had one for a long time. When mine started to develop problems 2 years agoI bought an FZ30 and didn't think the quality was as good (though the zoom was nice). It seemed like none of the ultrazooms were any better, so I bought a budget dSLR and have been very happy. I originally thought I was more willing to compromise on picture quality than I was the convenience of a fixed lens camera but it turned out to be an expensive mistake. I've not looked at the current crop of ultrazooms so they might be better at capturing detail than the FZ30 was. My suggestion is to look closely at your own pictures and decide what it is you like best and what you want the replacement to offer. Then look really closely at the various sample shots under Steve's reviews, as well as some of the other review sites.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote