Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:20 AM   #1

Hi all

I am looking for a $250 or so mini camcorder which has a CCD, at least a 720x480 resolution, 2 hours recording capability minimum (i.e. 2GB capacity at least? )
and a Video in port for connecting an external video camera such as a headcam.

I have found things like

But they don't have things like autofocus and picture stabilization,
and don't seem to be available from reputable retail sources... also I can't figure out how to make sure that the videocam has the correct interface for the external camera (or vice versa). All the specs say is 'video in' but I'm not sure what type they mean by that.

Its very strange, some of the higher model numbers have less features sometimes, e.g. the DV7300 has optical zoom but not an AV-in.

From what I understand, 720x480 needs about 1GB per hour of footage. Is that true? the various camera estimates vary significantly for some reason; in some places they claim hours for each gig on 720 resolution, and on the other hand this $1000 JVC GZMC500 camera lists one hour per 720 resolution on 4GB.... what am I to think.

We are looking for something that's about twice the Youtube quality- is there any advantage in having CCD over Cmos for this?

fldvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links