Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:39 AM   #1

Hello everyone!

I am looking for an ultracompact camera with manual settings available. I know that the Samsung Z-series do this, but apparently the image quality isn't so good.
And apparently the new Casio Exilim has this as well, but I'm skeptical about the large megapixel count on a small CCD.

What other options are there?
I'm looking for the following other options:

7+ MP
3X or greater Optical Zoom
SD card

Otherwise I will just have to go for a non-manual option, like the SD1000 or SD750? What thoughts about SD750 versus Casio Exilim Z1050/ or Z1200

Any advice please!?

twigdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:49 PM   #2

What about Fuji F50fd?
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:15 PM   #3

Your options for a camera of this type with manual settings is almost non-existant.

It's a camera with a unique sensor, but if you shoot it RAW, the Panasonic LX2 is an amazing machine. It offers, literally, any setting you have with a DSLR. Every exposure and metering mode. Ratio setting access via a slider on top of the lens. AF/MF/Macro slider on the side of the lens, AE lock, etc., etc, and if you shoot it RAW and process the files in the included Silkypix converter, it's easily useable through ISO 400, and 800 even does will if you really need it. Here's a folder of what I've shot with mine recently...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:17 AM   #4

My 7Mpix Casio EX-Z750 purchased in Sep2005 has quite a full set of manual controls, and it goes comfortably in my shirt breast pocket.

If Casio haven't brought out a suitable successor model, it's a shame. It's still in regular use. It's not my 'best' camera any more, but it lives in my everyday vehicle, ready for action.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote