Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1

I need a camera for taking macro photos of small electronic parts. The photos will be used in our data sheets (not advertising) that are printed in black and white. Parts are typically 5mm to 14mm in size and consist of 2 main colors, slate grey and silver. I currently use a Canon Powershot G3 and 1) find that I either can't get close enough or I lose detail and 2) THe high contrast between the dark grey and the silver causes exposure problems.

I have purchased a "table top studio" with light tent, lights and light box and the results have improved dramatically but now I wonder if the G3 is golding me back. I would prefer to not use an SLR is possible.
icepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2

A dSLR will give you lot more flexibility.

But you might try taking the same shot from different distances and at different focal lengths. Macrophotography pushes the limit of the inexpensive lenses in P&S digicams (which is why dSLRs are the tools of choice), so experimenting with different distances and focal lengths might help you find a 'sweet spot' where the lens in your current camera produces the best shots.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:16 AM   #3

i have a canon S3. and it has micro and super micro. here is a picture i took of a penny

wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote