Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:44 PM   #1

I've been using the 828 for over than three years now. I shoot mostly outdoor, during backpacking and other extreme activities (results can be viewed at http://www.EfratNakash.com/). This is why I need a light camera, and cannot carry many accessories.

I would like to have:
  • Zoom lens angle wider than the equivalent of 28mm. [/*]
  • Larger high-resolution LCD (>=3.0). [/*]
  • Improved image quality (artifact and noise)
Still, I am not ready to give up any of the following 828 features:
  • Total weight below 1Kg. [/*]
  • Live LCD shooting view. [/*]
  • A tilting LCD or the whole body (easier for extreme photographing angles, especially for flowers and small kids, and when the sun is bright). [/*]
  • Spot AF (flexible). [/*]
  • Spot light metering. [/*]
  • Macro focus mode (using the same lens).[/*]
Can anyone advice? Does anyone know about expected models?

Many thanks,

Attached Images
EfratNakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:40 PM   #2

Youmight look at the Fuji FinePix S100FS

Here are the specs (copied from dcresource).
  • 8th-generation, 2/3" SuperCCD HR sensor with 11.1 effective Megapixels [/*]
  • F2.8-5.3, 14.3X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 400 mm [/*]
  • Optical image stabilization [/*]
  • Manual zoom and focus rings [/*]
  • 2.5" tilt-able LCD display (230k pixels) + electronic viewfinder [/*]
  • Full manual controls; ISO goes to 3200 at full resolution, 6400 at 6MP, and 10,000 at 3MP [/*]
  • Dynamic range can be expanded by up to 400% [/*]
  • RAW image format supported [/*]
  • Can take up to 3 RAW or 7 JPEGs in a row at 3 frames/second; dropping the resolution to 3MP lets you take 50 shots in a row at 7 fps [/*]
  • Three film simulation modes: soft, Velvia (vibrant), and Provia (general use) [/*]
  • Face Detection can find faces in profile; redeye can be removed automatically [/*]
  • Hot shoe for external flash [/*]
  • Can record movies at 640 x 480 (30 fps) with sound; zoom can be operated while recording (obviously) [/*]
  • 25MB onboard memory + xD/SD/SDHC card slot [/*]
  • Uses NP-140 lithium-ion battery; battery life numbers not available [/*]
  • USB 2.0 High Speed supported [/*]
  • Ships in February for $799[/*]
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:41 PM   #3

First, you have some truly remarkable images on your website. It looks like the 828 has served you well.

What is your budget?? I think it's going to be tough to get a camera similiar to the 828 with a wider angle. To go wider you'll either need a converter lens or switch to a DSLR, which may get you beyond your size requirements. A DSLR will also be the best way to get better image quality. Purely in terms of size, the Nikon D40 is small and lightweight. You could fit it with the sigma 10-20 (total weight of a little less than 1 kg) for ultra wide work. You could add the nikon 18-200 vr for extra reach and a decent 1 lens solution, while still maintaining a slightly wider angle than you currently have. Carrying both would be about 1.5kg and give you a total cost of about $1600 (US), not including memory, bags, etc. Take out the 10-20 and you're at about $1200 (us). I think you'd love the sigma 10-20 and could do alot with it based on the shots I've seen in your galleries.

Sigma also makes the 10-20mm in other mounts for a comparable cost. The canon XTI, is slightly heavier but pairing these two still gets you right around 1kg, total. Canon doesn't have a one lens solution as strong as the nikon 18-200, but has some quality lenses that would complement the 10-20 well. Pentax has a version of this lens too, but the k10 is the heaviest of the bunch.

Unfortunately, none of these DSLR's have live view. I believe there is a new Fuji that has a 28 mm wide angle equiv. that may also fit your needs.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:00 PM   #4

My first thought is that if you decide to go with a dSLR, the Oly E-510 should be high on your list, along with the Nikon d40 or d40x. The kit lens that comes with the Oly has a 35mm equivalent of 28mm. There are a couple of wider lenses available for it, but they are expensive. The Oly is a little lighter than the Nikon.

If you aren't in a hurry to buy a camera, you might wait until Pentax comes out with the new K200. It will still be heavier than either the Nikon or Oly, but it will offer weather sealing, something that can be quite useful outdoors, and it will be lighter than the current K10, which (while a nice camera) is way beyond your weight limit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:43 PM   #5

You've got some great pics on your web site...your composition is excellent. I'd like to be able to suggest a suitable camera, however I haven't been able to come up with one that meets your criteria. It would seem, at first that a DSLR would be the perfect fit, but most (if not all) do not have a 3" or larger high resolution LCD (which can be tilted), or capture in a 4:3 image ratio, or offer a one lens solution for all your photographic needs, without exceeding your weight restrictions.

Regarding the P&S field, perhaps robbo's suggestion (Fuji S100fs) might be the closest to meeting your needs. Unfortunately, it hasn't been released yet, so nobody really knows how good the image quality will be.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:59 AM   #6

Thank you all for your replies and your compliments!

I am not in a hurry; I want to find a camera which will justify the replacement. Yes, the 828 served me very well. I am ready to wait for the Pentax K200, Fuji FinePix S100FS, or any other promising new camera.

My problem with dSLR is that it often has dust on the sensor. That's not so bad when you are near a lab. But when you are in an expedition in the middle of nowhere, it is a real problem.

Looking for the features, with the weight limitation, makes me flexible about the budget (well, not without any limit ). A tilt-able LCD is mandatory (for all those tiny creatures which I love to photograph in any condition).

The Fuji FinePix S100FS has same wide lens (I don't care much of the tele), and only somewhat larger LCD. Memory card is proprietary:roll:. So it really comes to the question of image quality.

I'll appreciate any more thoughts and info about expected cameras.

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:48 AM   #7

The S100FS uses proprietary xD cards AND non-proprietary (and fairly cheap) SD cards. I guess one reason that I would put it at the top of my digicam list is that its sensor is fairly large (for a non-DSLR camera) and ituses one of Fuji's super CCDs, which usually do fairly well in low light.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:58 PM   #8

Thanks Robbo!

Can anyone compare the Sony Alpha 300, 350 and Fuji FinePix S100FS?