Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Heres some criteria:

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
Up to 300

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
Whatever is needed for great picture quality
* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
* How important is "image quality" to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
Do you care for manual controls?
I don't know how to use a camera, nor what the controls mean. Soo, in reality, if it does a *GREAT* job in auto mode, I could care less.
General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
Friends, vacation, casual pics, nightlife (clubs, bars, parties, etc, family, scenery (tied with vacations I suppose)* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
I just want to upload them on my computer and also to the internet (facebook, myspace) and into a folder of "my pics" on my comp. I would also want to print them out and/or get copies, like most ppl do at a walgreens and such.
Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Not really

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
No, but I just want something that won't break down on me. I want something reliable.
Are there particular models you already have in mind?
(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
Optical Image Stabilization, Ability to record video's, standard digital zoom without them being too blurry
swimm3r137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:35 PM   #2

I love my Fuji F31fd. It has unparalled image quality in low light (inside, clubs, night etc...) It is discontinued now, but its replacements (F40fd, F50fd) are almost as solid. It also takes suprisingly awesome day photos. By far the best pocket cam I have ever had. Would highly, highly reccomend it.

If the F40fd and F50fd are out of your price range, the F20 might be worth looking for...I think you can get one for $150 or so online. It is said to have the very best low light capabilities of almost any pocket camera.
Andrew_C_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:35 PM   #3

We have a family Canon SD850. By that I mean my wife and I both use it for very different purposes. She shoots landscapes and buildings and I shoot people (maybe I should rephrase that to "I photograph people"). I recommend the SD850 because of the flexibility it offers. The 4x optical zoom is adequate and the LCD screen is easy to see. 8 megapixels is plenty and the image stabilization is handy. But the quality that I like best is the way it feels. Solid but not bulky. I would advise you to research the specs but make sure to go hold your final choices in your hands; I'll bet that where your decision will be made.
jerry bird is offline   Reply With Quote