Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which do I keep?
Sell The Nikon D70 and buy Olympus 0 0%
Sell The Olympus E510 and pocket the money 1 33.33%
Keep Both 1 33.33%
Sell Both And Get A New Hobby 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:37 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D70 with a SB-600 flash, 3 lenses, 3 batteries, a remote and an extended grip. It is a great camera but has some limitations, the most obvious being only 6MP and no VR. It is nice that I can buy Nikon lenses used just about anywhere

My grandfather gave me an Olympus E-510. I just came in the mail today and it is a pretty decent little camera. It seems to take a lot better pictures, the 10MP and the VR are nice. But I would need to buy all new accessories for it and it seems to be slower than my D70. I have also noticed that I cannot find Olympus lenses just anywhere, the only place to buy them used seems to be eBay and I hate eBay.

I want the higher MP and the VR the Olympus has. But I also want the accessories and the availability the Nikon has.

Do I sell the Nikon and use the money for Olympus stuff? Or do I sell the Olympus and pocket the money? I need to sell one of them so which do I keep? Why?
Cinciphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:58 PM   #2

Tough call.

Do you see your grandfather often? How would he feel about you selling a gift he gave you?

If you want image stabilization and 10(+) megapixels, there are lots of ways to go, but the E-510 is a good one. Unfortunately, lenses for it can be very expensive, and since the 4/3 system is relatively new, there aren't many lenses available on the used market.

Pentax and Sony dSLRs will also fill the bill, and both have more lenses and accessoriesavailable, both new and used.

I'd sell both of them and buy a Sony, but all four of my grandfathers have already passed away.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:39 PM   #3

I think I'd sell the Nikon, but I would check out the prices for Oly lenses at B&H first, to make sure the lenses I wanted were available in Oly mount. It sounds like you prefer the Oly. Yes, you'd have to buy more with it, but it sounds like you'd be replacing the D70 even if you don't keep the Oly. I shoot Pentax so I know how nice in-camera IS can be.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote