Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:21 PM   #1

New member here. I had my Canon Powershot for 3 years and I think that I need an upgrade. I am still an amateur and my requirements are :

1. good quality images of people / events / nature ( no sports)

2. at least 6 optical zoom / 6 MP

3. ability to take pics in low light (indoor night shots)

My choices are :Canon Powershot 720 IS / Fuji Finepix s700 which sells for usd199 and 176 respectively.

However, I am also confused whether to get a camera with a little bit of sophistication and features. I don't mind paying for an extra 100. I am considering Canon S5 / Fuji Finepix s8000Fd, They are now selling for usd320 atOfficeDepot and usd240 at buydig (290 less 50 rebate).

Please help make the best choice because all of the 4 cameras are in Steve's list of "Best Cameras".

conrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:59 PM   #2

My previous camera, a P&S PoS from Gateway died, and I am considering an S3 for similar uses (+macro). Did you find it very unsatisfactory that you are considering an upgrade, or did it die?

I've heard that the higher megapixel (but same sized) sensor in the S5 means that it does worse in lowlight and has more noise problems. At least that is what a review article said about the S5 and other newer cameras. Most reviews on the net seem to be pro-DSLR though (unless newer cameras are really that crappy).

I'm also confused because a lot of reviews paint the S3 as having great features, but also having image quality of a <$100 camera. :O
Othermusketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:55 AM   #3

The Canon A-720 IS is a very well priced and very competent digital camera. The Canon S-5 is also a very good camera, if you need more zoom. Please keep in mind the that the Fuji S-700 does not have IS, it is well priced, but it is NOT one of the Fuji high ISO capable cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote