Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:11 AM   #1

My LCD screen cracked on my Pentax Optio A20. It was a good little camera andtook good pictures.

I am going to reaplce it but have not kept up to date on the newest cameras and technolgy. The cameras I am considering are:

Fuji F50d, Canon SD1100, Canon SD870, Canon SD850.

These are the ones that seem to have good image quality and are easy to use.

I am mainly using it for family photos and pcitures of the kids palying sports.

mark0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:54 PM   #2

For sports, you may be better off looking at one of the "Super Zoom" type cameras, with longer available focal lengths (i.e., a camera with a 300mm or longer equivalent zoom setting versus a camera with a 100mm or so zoom setting, compared to the same focal length on a 35mm camera model).

A good place to start your search would be Steve's Best Cameras List

This page has models deemed to be a good value within their market niche, and you'll see a Super Zoom category.

Make sure to read the conclusion section of the reviews for models you consider. That's where you'll see how a model compares in areas like Autofocus Speed and Reliability, Cycle times between photos, number of photos in a burst, image quality with and without flash, and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:06 PM   #3

Jim thank you for the adivce. I am looking to spend 200-300. Most of the pcitures will be for birthday parties, vacations and things like t-ball etc.. Sports for 5 year olds.

The Pentax A30 that broke took some good shots. Having a camera with more then a 3x zoom would be nice. I belive the canon's have a 4x zoom.

mark0824 is offline   Reply With Quote