Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:24 PM   #21

JimC wrote:
That's a relatively poor quality set of lenses. You often seen vendors bundling that pair to make their kits sound like they're worth more.

You can sometimes find those two lenses in a pair brand new for under $200 at some of the reputable dealers around. Separately, they're not worth much over $100 each new (and very little at all used).

In addition, you may find that 28mm is not wide enough on a DSLR using an APS-C size sensor. You'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) with a given focal length lens on a DSLR with a smaller sensor.

On a model like the Canon XTi, you have to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6x to see what focal length you'd need using a camera with a 35mm size film or sensor, for the same angle of view. IOW, a 28mm lens on the XTi would give you the roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera (1.6 x 28mm ~= 45mm).

You can only back up so far and get what you want in the frame in some conditions. That's why the kit lenses with most entry level DSLR models tend to start out at around 18mm (because they will appear to be longer on a DSLR model using an APS-C size sensor).
Well given what you just posted....can you reccomend two good lenses that I can get that would serve my purposes for the first little bit... I will buy more glass later as I discover things and needs.

JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:46 PM   #22

I agree with JimC. You should not consider those lenses. You'd be better of with a superzoom P&S digicam, than even the bestdSLR and those two lenses.

And I agree with JimC about 28mm not being wide enough. I've got the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and like it a lot. If you're looking for a better lens than the kit 18-55, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Sigma 18-50/2.8 would be better choices. But they're not cheap.

The zoom range is good for general shooting and the f/2.8 maximum aperture is good for indoor and city streets.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:41 PM   #23

I will probably soon be getting the new XSI. The reason being that it is bundled with IS lens that have received decent reviews. I actually had wanted to buy the Sony A200 or A300 but I personally did not like the ergonomics. This is rather a personal thing but in this case it appears obvious that Sony has actually failed where the thumb is expected to have a grip and I am surprised not that a single reviewer has mentioned this as far as I know (on this issue the A100 was much better). Anyhow, the reason why I mention these Sony's are that if you personally feel that the ergonomics is ok then I think you get a lot more bang-for-the-buck buying a cameras with image stabilising in the body.

Regarding the lens issue, this is often not highlighted enough in review but it is rather obvious that any picture will not be better than the lens that has been used. It does not take a genius to realise the importance of quality lenses. But quality usually means a lot of weight (an issue for me) so take this into account as a newbie (and perhaps not used to heavier and more professional cameras). The new Canon IS lenses appears to be both light and relatively good.

I hope that this has been to some help for you (although not much to the point). Cameras are very personal things and first one need to establish the top priorities. What will the cameras be used for and what do you like in a camera. In the end it is only you that can know what is good ergonomics for you.
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:55 PM   #24

Looking forward to your take of the XSI since that is the probable camera I am looking at.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote