Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:34 AM   #1

I'm looking for a good ultra compact camera I can take with me when I am just hanging out on the weekends with the kids. I want to use it mainly for capturing video of the kids on short notice. I also will use it to take normal pictures as well.

I am looking at a budget of around $200 but I could spend more if something is really good with video.

Thanks all.
jranaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2

Take a look at some of the mid range Casio models that record video in H.264 format, very high quality at a reasonable price.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:27 PM   #3

a dedicated video button would be nice
jranaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:51 AM   #4

If you are more interested in shooting video with an ultra compact flash memory ("memory card") based camera, and photo quality is not your main concern, you may look into the lesser name brands such as Aiptek.

Most Aiptek digital camcorders have fixed (non-zoom) lens except the more expensive GO-HD and MZ-DV models, which have 3X optical zoom lens. They two both use 5 MP CMOS sensors and take still pictures up to 8 MP (interpolated, therefore lesser quality than true 5 MP pictures). The GO-HD takes "high-definition" (1280 x 720 pixel) videos, and the MZ-DV takes "regular DVD quality" (720 x 480) video. They sell between $200 - 250 on the website, but you may find a lower price if you google around and look at webstores (eg. Amazon).

Video is recorded in MPEG-4 format, which can be converted to DVD with included software.

In fact, there is an active forum here at Steve's where users discuss Aiptek and other hybrid cameras/ camcorders - you should take a look at the posted samples:

I have looked at some GO-HD video samples and I am very impressed with the image quality, especially for the price of the device!!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote