Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:39 PM   #1

Unfortunately I had to go to 3 different stores to try these so I could not compare them side to side.

S5is this camera really impressed me with its performance without the flash in the store, the image stabilization, and the camera seemed to be put together very well. The price in Canada was $379

FZ18 this camera also took very good pictures across the store but the lighting was brighter in this store, The image stabilization did not seem as affective but that was probably an affect of the longer zoom. Seemed high quality. The price in Canada is $378 (on sale).

H3 this camera seemed to take very good pictures but this store was much smaller and it was difficult to compare to the others but if i had to guess I would say the pictures were not quite as bright accross the store. The camera seemed not put together very well, when you rocked the camera back and forth you could feel the lens slop back and forth a bit. The salesman said that if you print your own pictures you have to mess with the white balance more than others (I do print many of my own pictures) The camera is on sale in that store for $239.

With the little bit of fooling around I did with the cameras I liked the S5 the best but I sure liked the size and price of the H3, and the zoom of the FZ18 is nice.

Then I read on here tonight about the Fuji F100fd with its very large sensor that sounded good and the TZ4 seemed like a very high quality camera.

Getting closer but still need help.
saski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:45 PM   #2

Without a doubt the Canon S-5 IS is the best camera in the group. Just my opinion, but I have looked at every camera out there.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3

I enjoy going to camera stores too - my wife knows when we get near one that I'm going to have to go in.

Of all the larger compact cameras, I like the ergonomics of the Fuji cameras the best. Canon cameras are very well made too.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote