Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1

hi I´m looking foa a new srl camera to general use but most for wildlife pics.

I like olympus e-510 (weigth,price, etc)

Which others cameras may I consider to be "better" to olympus e510?

Faster AF, etc......

Thanks for your help.

facaphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:10 PM   #2

What types of wildlife? In many cases, the lens(es) used will have much more impact on your success and will cost significantly more than the camera body you choose.

What is your budget? You may have to make sacrifices to be able to fit within that budget.

I'm also going to offer the following advice right off the bat: Wildlife photography can be very difficult. Much more so than people that don't shoot it think. Taking a photo of your dog is much easier than taking photos of kingfishers for example. But there are a lot of people on this site and others that do wildlife photography. So my advice is: make sure you see actual examples of the types of wildlife you want to shoot from a given camera / lens BEFORE you plop down your money. That way you can judge for yourself whether the actual results are good enough for you.

It's not uncommon for people to spend $700-800 on a solution and find it is woefully inadequate for what they want to achieve. So make sure you see actual photographic evidence of what the solution will produce - that way you determine if it meets your expectations or if you need to stretch your budget in order to meet your expectations. In either case at least you'll be making an informed decision.

So what types of wildlife and at what total budget?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:42 AM   #3

hi this is the point know what i need before spend my €€€€

I want to take pcs from birds the most.

I know something about wildlife becouse I use to track and watch it.

Anyway my budget is around 800€,900€=$1278.$1438
facaphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:30 AM   #4

Taking your budget into account, your going to have to compromise somewhere. I shoot mostly birds, I do get away from it occasionally but its my passion. You will find people on here that shoot all types of camera's and lenses. I have done quite well using a Pentax K10D and a Tamron 70-300mm DI lens with a 1.4x Teleconverter. I presently am shooting a Sony A200 with a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro with a 1.5x Teleconverter. This is until my Sigma 50-500mm APO (the Bigma) gets here. When shooting birds you need reach, ie long lenses, they wont let you sneak up close to get that real good close up. Especially them dang Kingfishers.

You can see some of my bird shots here Gallery

I dont know the prices where you are, but the Sony A200 or A350 if you want live view and 14.2 mpadd a Sigma or Tamron lens out to 300mm would fit in your budget, as would a Pentax K10 or an Olympus E510.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote