Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi Guys

I need a new camera as my compact is broken, however i dont have the budget for an slr but am desperate to try HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography a go. I do understand some compacts offer the exposure bracket function but cant seem to find these listed anywhere

any recomendations would be greatfully received, other than hdr it has to perform well for pictures of the kidsetc

budget $300-$400/ £150-£200 although flexible on this

sisniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 3:03 AM   #2

U can search something on the popvoucher, which is full of the discount products.

now it open the U.S. site. May be you will find a great deal on it.
charliesimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:18 AM   #3

Depending on what you mean by 'compact', the Kodak Z712 (better) or Z812 hybrid superzooms are extraordinary value, and will do three shot bracketing. They're a fraction of the size, weight & cost of a dSLR. I'm delighted with my Z712 (just a year and 7000 shots old). There are other good competitors to it, mostly rather more expensive, e.g., Canon S5is.

The electronic viewfinder (EVF) offers lot of help, with a rudimentary live preview, in choosing which exposure to bracket around. The image stabilisation means you can get away without a tripod if you're careful, as I discovered in my brief attempts at simple HDR.

If you do use a tripod, you don't really need the bracketing, as you could use any camera with easily accessible manual aperture or shutter or EV setting controls, so long as your subject didn't get away between shots.

My ancient (2003) Casio QV-5700 has a 5-shot bracketing facility, which I still use occasionally when deciding how to expose problematic subjects such as white or bright flowers in sunny gardens.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote