Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2008, 1:24 AM   #1

I am a huge traveler, and one of the things that I am always struggling with is my desire to share photos with others balanced with my hatred of carrying a camera (or anything else) around. I have probably visited over 100 cities on four continents but never taken any photos back with me. So this summer I really want to get a camera. I generally don't wear a backpack or carry a bag when daytripping around - I only carry what fits in my pockets. So, naturally size is the biggest consideration for me:

Priorities, in order

Size/weight - it doesn't have to be the size of a postage stamp - but a slim profile is far and above the most important issue for me, the ability to slip it in my front pocket without weighing me down or creating a huge bulge.
Performance in low light - Taking photos at the bar, etc. I guess this means high maximum ISO settings?
Rechargeable battery pack - I don't want to buy a new pair of AA batteries every day
Shallow depth of field (ability to alter aperture and use of low f-stop numbers)

Things that I don't really care about

Image quality - I probably won't make any prints and if I do they will be normal size, mostly I will share these photos over the internet. So I'm pretty sure I don't need huge megapixels.

Budget: bang for buck is more important and I don't want to spend over $500, preferably less

hammocksleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links