Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11

Blurred_focus01 wrote:
I have decided to get back into SLR photography after years of point and shoots. The types of pix I take are my kids in sports, family events, and scenery - nature and architecture. After reading about and looking at a lot of DSLRs I decided I wanted at least a 10 mega pixel camera, as well as live view, sensor clean, and in-body image stabilization. (While many say lens stabilization may be better, the type of photography I will do does not justify the cost of these types of lenses - unless someone can convince me otherwise.) I have narrowed my choices down to the Sony alpha 300 and Olympus e-510.

My obvious question is which is better? Which will be a better long-term camera as I am not likely to upgrade soon? Which has a better selection of lenses - OEM and 3rd party? Since I have been out of SLR use for a while, which is easier initially while allowing me the best potential? Also, are those extended warrantees worth it for a DSLR?

I do like the feel of the 510 a little more (lighter than the a300) but I am wary of the 4-3 aspect and its longevity? Will it become obsolete like 8track and beta since it is not the mainstream? Is the 3 focal points a detriment compared to 9? Also, since it has been out for a while, is it due to be replaced soon? I would hate to buy it today for an e610 to come out tomorrow.

Price wise they are both $599 but he e510 has a 2 lens kit.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I have a E-510

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:43 PM   #12

if you ask me sony a300.
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote