Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1

I am a novice - intermediate user looking for a good P&S camera --- one that can be carried easily in my jeans pocket. Image Quality (preferably straight out of the camera) is my #1 priority, preferably straight out of auto mode. I will play with manual settings if I need to but would rather stick to auto-mode. My previous camera was a Nikon 4500 (which was nice but way too big/bulky). My wife has a Sony T5 which is a nice size, but I do not like the image quality it puts out.
I recently bought a Canon SD890IS for use on vacation. After about 300 photos taken, I found I was a bit dissatisfied with the overall image quality I was getting --- not quite as "sharp" and as "in focus" as I would have expected. I found almost all the shots needed to be "sharpened" and otherwise tweaked in Picasa to make them look really good. I would have expected some to require this, but I was disappointed that almost all needed it.

I returned the SD890 to the store where I bought it and decided to start my search again. I have been doing the "usual"--- reading reviews and user opinions where they exist, etc. Based on that, I was down to Fuji F100fd (nervous about quality though with the pink band issues I was reading),Panasonic FX500 (image quality though did not sound great based on early online feedback, or going back to the Canon SD890 again (maybe that much post-processing and tweaking is normal today).

At a local camera store, the owner (good guy --- apparently well thought of by many of my personal friends who know LOTS more than I do) was recommending the new Olympus Stylus 1010. I played with it a bit and it seemed to meet most everything I was looking for. However, when I looked online, I could find almost no user feedback or reviews with this camera.

If anyone has any experience/advice about the Olympus 1010 (or Olympus generally), I would welcome the insight.

Rick America is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links