Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera?
Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel) 0 0%
Olympus E-510 0 0%
Nikon D60 0 0%
Nikon D80 2 100.00%
Nikon D40x 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13, 2008, 1:29 PM   #11

videobruce wrote:
Tamron better than Nikon?? I though Tamron was a 'less expensive' choice.
Regarding IS. I haven't decided on that yet.
You have to take each lens on a case by case basis. Both manufacturers have good quality (and not so good quality) lenses. Tamron's SP (Super Performance) series lenses are their best grade (from both a build quality and optical quality perspective). I've got two of them I use with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700: a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 Autofocus lens, and a Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 Autofocus lens ).

Let price guide you with Nikkor lenses (assuming you're going to spend more for roughly equivalent quality compared to third party lenses from Sigma, Tokina or Tamron).

How about a lessor range zoom ratio, say 6x and using a 2x entender? I haven't seen anything, but are there choices larger than the common 3 & 4x types and less than 8 or 10x super zooms?
Forget that unless you want to degrade optical quality, depending on the type you're thinking of. The type that fits in front of a lens is mostly junk, and you don't even want to think about using one (plus, if the front element rotates on the lens, you'll risk damaging the camera or lens AF mechanism, since it wasn't designed for the extra weight).

As for other TCs, you'll lose a lot of light using one (only half the light gets through using a 1.4x TC and only 1/4 the light gets through using a 2x TC). There are a number of diffrences between Teleconveters, and you also have to be aware of optical element clearance issues (many TCs only work with a very small number of lenses that they're designed to be compatible with). Kenko and Tamron TCs tend to be the most compatible (with some of them reporting the corrected aperture used, and some just passing through what the lens is telling the camera).

Also, you can't use a lens as dim as we're discussion with many TCs or cameras (down to f/5.6 or f/6.3 on their longer end) with many teleconvertors if the TC passes corrected Aperture Information to the camera when it's attached (some models do, some don't). That's because you lose one stop of light (only half the light gets through) with a 1.4x TC using a lens with f/5.6 available (making that lens an f/8 lens on it's longer end if trying to use a 1.4x TC with it).

Many cameras will refuse to Autofocus at all (they won't even try) when the aperture gets past around f/6.3 or f/6.7. Even if you use a TC that doesn't send corrected aperture information to a camera so that it doesn't know it's using a lens as dim as f/8, the camera is going to struggle trying to lock focus using a TC with a lens in anything other than the brightest light. I'd stick to lenses with f/4 (at the dimmest) or even better, lenses with f/2.8 throughout their focal range if you want to try using a TC with one, especially since a TC will degrade optical quality some, and you want to make sure you're using a Pro quality lens to start out with (versus a budget lens that's going to be a bit softer at wider apertures and longer focal lengths, since you'd need to stop down the aperture for best results with a TC, making a dimmer lens even dimmer for shutter speed purposes, even if you can focus with it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:03 AM   #12

I suggested either a wide angle adapter or a extender as I (sucessfully) used a wide angle adapter on a video lens. Granted, that was only S-VHSC, but it worked.

I suppose you will now say, because of the limited resolution I was working with, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference as you will with DSLR?

So any front teleconters are out of the question? I wouldn't even consider a rear adapter. I might as well go with a second lens.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:12 AM   #13

Some of them have a reputation for relatively good quality (for example, the Olympus TCON converters are well liked). But, I personally wouldn't attempt to use this type of converter with a dSLR lens (especially if the front element rotates).

I don't even use a UV filter in front of my lenses to reduce the chance of optical degradation from the extra glass, much less something like a front mounted TC.

But, some of our forum members have probably tried them and could give you better feedback than I could.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote