Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Let me start off by saying that I've learned a lot by reading through these threads, but the more I read, the more I'm not sure which camera is right for me.

Currently, I have a Kodak z712 IS that I'm actually quite pleased with. The things I really love about it are the shallow dof I can achieve with it, the big zoom, the live preview, the manual controls, and the landscape photos I get. What I don't like is the shutter lag (although it's much better than other P&S I've used) and the lack of manual focus (it does have this ability, butI don't care for it). Here is a link to some photos I've taken with the Kodak z712 IS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amy129/

I take a lot of photos of kids... I have a 2 and a 4 year old. I like being able to zoom in on them from a short distance so I don't disturb what they are doing. I love those natural shots like that. A lot of times with my kodak, in auto, the kids will be blurry because they are moving around. I've tried the sports mode, but then it has too much noise. I take a lot of "candid", portrait, and basic snapshots of my kids and family.

I take a lot of photos inside, but sometimes not that impressed with inside/low light shots unless I really plan it out and have extra lighting and stand in the right spot, etc.

I love close up/macro shots. The kodak does a decent job, but lacks he clarity I would love. I also love to get shots of the moon... I've been pretty pleased with the kodak in this area, although it takes some patience. I like shooting sunsets and sunrises, flowers, and landscapes.

I don't want to have a ton of different lenses... maybe 2-4 total! I don't "need" as big of a zoom as what my kodak currently has - 12x (430mm - in 35mm). And I don't "need" the live preview. I want clarity, good color, the ability to get a good shot indoors without being near a window, and the ability to really use it manually in all ways.

Now, knowing what I like and what I want to shoot, would you recommend that I get a DSLR? I had a Pentax SLR YEARS ago that I liked. My Mom had Nikon that I loved as well. I no longer have my Pentax camera or lenses, but my Mom has the following lenses: Albinar 75-300mm zoom, Nikon Nikkor 24mm wide angle, 2x teleconverter, Nikon 52mm, and some filters and a Nikon speedlight flash.These are the lenses that we used back when (1980's). It's been years since I've even looked at them. I don't remember a lot about those lenses or if they are autofocus or not.

I've been looking at the Nikon D80 a lot. The price is the only thing that has been holding me back as I'm not a pro, and I have a hard time justifying the expense for a new toy. LOL But I love photography and I take a TON of photos! Recently,I have also started hearing about the Nikon D60. But I've just started looking into it. I worry about the lens selection with this camera. I supposed that there would be plenty of lenses to do me just fine??

I came across a Nikon D60 2 lens kit with the 18-55mm VR and the 55-200 VR lenses for $999.

Any thoughts on a direction I should go? Or should I stick with what I have? I guess I'm just bored with my Kodak and looking for something more exciting. LOL

Thank you!
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2008, 2:24 PM   #2

Any dSLR will run rings around what you've got now, especially in the area of shutter lag.

But for capturing photos of young children, you might want to stay away from the Nikon D40/40X/D60. Children move around a lot, especially in sports that your children may start participating in, and the entry level Nikons have an autofocus system that does not do well in those circumstances, especially in low light.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote