Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2008, 4:19 PM   #1

I posted here about a dslr for my needs of candid street photos and low light people scenes and some architecture/artsy things..well i did take a look at the sony a350/300 as well as canon sx1 and nikon d60..and the k200/k20 cameras...all of which i found very sweet..the sony was nice but the viewfinder wasnt as bright and large to me as the canon xsi...but i think the in body anti shake is a plus...

well...since they all are nice cameras its even harder for me to decide...i am down to the canon xsi or the sony a300 now in dslr..but my issue is with the kit lens..I am not fond of any of the kit lens...for the sony i do like the sal18-200 or now 18-250 sal...but still i prefer a brighter lens for my needs..like the zies 18-135 maybe($700.00 yiikes!)...so herein lies my dilema....a setup for me is going to run me easily for what i want...1400-1600.00 ouch! And this is not the end all be all in terms of lens or accesories i will likely needs like filters..ect...

Ok so..i need to ask myself if i can justify this spending for what i will be doing.In truth..i cannot..I have had many cameras in the past from pana fz1and 2 to fz8.,,sony h9...to tz1 and tz5 and fuji f31/f30/f45..and have used them all in various ways to get so great shots and fufill my needs on some levels..(i dont still own all these and sold many over the years ..you know how it goes)

Well now i am seriously looking at the fuji s100fs as an alternative as i can get this for around $500 new.I have been a big fan of the fujis i still have and have seen some great shots from this camera..and while there are weaknesses of course when compared to the dslr's i have tried ..financially it seems a good choice for my needs...

I know bridge cams get alot of flack from dslr guys as they definately are limited and try to do alot with smaller sensor and a fixed lens..but..i am keeping an open mind...it may be a good option to keep me going for a while tiill i can really justify a 1500-2000 dollar outlay of cash..for dslr.

so anyone use the s100fs? I have read alot of things on it and still am on the fence..thank you

jageya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 5:58 PM   #2

No P&S digicam will give you the low light capabilities that a dSLR can. If that's important to you, you should stick with a dSLR.

As to lenses, stay away from the 18-200, and the 18-250 probably wouldn't be a good choice either. They both suffer from geometric distortion (the 18-200 worse than the 18-250) that will screw up your architecture shots.

For low light and wide angle stuff (Architecture/Landscape/Cityscape) I think the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 would be a good choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Or, to throw anothertwist in - if architecture is high on your list of priorities, Canon is about the only manufacturer I know aboutthat still makes a shift lens. That would be very nice, though probably not something you'd want to buy right away. Someday I'd like to own one of the old Pentax shift lenses - while I can often get the straight vertical lines by using photoshop's skew tool, I find it sometimes difficult to keep the perspective right while straightening the lines.

DSLR cameras are not for everyone, that's for sure. Everything about photography is about compromise and so you really need to decide where you want to compromise - do you want to give up capability to get smaller size and less cost? There isn't a "correct" answer to that question - only what might be right for one person.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 3:27 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Nikon are now making shift lenses again.

But it all depends on your budget really. How much are you willing to spend?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:01 AM   #5

If photography is your hobby and you want to continue with an dSLR but without spending an arm and a leg, I would suggest rather than going absolutely new, with the latest model, take a look at the new, but superceeded bodies. Something like the Pentax K100D or K100D Super. There is a specific reason why I am suggesting this possible route. The bodies are pretty reasonable, but have most of the latest features (image stablization, etc.). Also, you able to pick up some pretty good lenses that are low light, and potentially reasonably priced. The catch - they are manual - both in focus and aperature.

Also, the K200D is a repackaged K10D, so with the K10D replaced by the K20D, the 10's are on clearance (you have to look).

The down side is -- its a new body, 6 months out of date.

Now the lenses - you can go broke buying lenses (LBA - Lens Buying Addiction), so reach back to what is reasonable. Pentax currently (and for the last 25 years or so) has been using the K mount. 30+ years ago they were using the M42 screw mount. The current line of Pentax bodies can use both mounts (however, the M42 lenses need an K to M42 adapter). There is also a healthy set of third party lenses available Tokina, Vivitar, Sigma, etc

You can find M42 50/1.7 lenses for around $50; 28/2.8 for about $35, etc. I found a 135/3.5 go for $15.

What is the catch - you have to look for them. You have to manual focus (however, the body auto focus will tell you when you are in focus), you will need to stop down the lens (manually) before taking the picture. The plus is the price, and the bodies (above) have image stablization which still works on a 30 year old lens (regardless of the mount) (one last item - you have to tell the body the focal length of the M42 lenses via the menu system).

Now I am not saying that all the old lenses are going for a song, but you can probably easily pickup a manual 50/2 or 50/1.7 in either M42 or K mount for a pretty reasonable price to start out. Also, the 18-55 kit lens is really pretty good (one of the better kit lenses around), especially for architecture and landscapes at the wide end. There can be a bit of viginetting, but software can take care of that.

You just have to start out taking pictures the old fashion way, mount a lens, select the focal length on the back panel, manually focus, manually stop down, etc.

The reason why I am pointing out Pentax for this, is that they are really the only one that can use their entire line of older lenses on the newest bodies. However, you can apply the same method to the other vendors also, to varying degrees.

Anyway - just a suggestion.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote