Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2008, 1:19 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in buying a camera for my nephew (10 years old) and have a budget of $100. I'm looking for something that's easy to use, takes good quality point and shoot type pictures, and is fairly rugged. While I know that $100 is not a lot of money for a digital camera, what's the best one in this price range?

rhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 2:34 PM   #2

I'd go with a Kodak C613, 713 or 813. They are very easy to use and picture quality is good. A much better camera all around is the Canon A470, but it's a little more expensive than the Kodaks.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:37 PM   #3

Let me be the second to say the Canon A-470 is a great camera. I have recommended it (and its predecessors) to three of my relatives, all who have purchased one and love them. I would get a Canon over a Kodak any day of the week.

ecuadormissiontrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:18 AM   #4

May I make an alternative recommendation?

I started sending little digital cameras as gifts to young nieces and nephews a few years ago (those keychain cameras), and I realize quickly that they are more interested in taking videos than snapping pictures. I also find that the little ones don't really care about optical zoom and image quality in most cases (mostly view on computers, so anything 2-3MP will suffice).

An inexpensive "digital camcorder" with still picture function (aka. "hybrid camera") is Aiptek:

The price of the lower models is well within your budget. The advantage over mainstream digital cameras is that, it saves the video in MPEG4 format, which is much smaller in filesize than the common MJPEG video format of digital cameras (eg. up to 1 hr+ (depending on strength of compression) per GB of memory card for MPEG4, compared to only 10-15 minutes per GB for MJPEG). True, the video quality MPEG4 may not be as good as MJPEG (unless the video bitrate setting is at the highest, in which case the filesize also increases), it is not that relevant to our young videographers.

Buy a 1 GB SD card to go with the Aiptek and they are happy campers!

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:37 AM   #5

You may want to look at the Entry-Level category in Steve's Best Cameras List for lower priced camera models deemed to be a good value in this market niche. Make sure to read the review conclusion section (last page before the sample images in each review) for comments on performance, image quality, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6

The Panasonic LZ-8 at $149 (at www.buydig.com) with free shipping is an excellent camera for the price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:41 PM   #7

take a look at Fuji J10.
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote