Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:56 PM   #1

:angry: i have used a X370 minolta camera for the longest and it has cratered, i feel so lost w/out it. so i am looking to go digital but would like to find a good used digital camera that is compatable with the lenses that i already own. I have the 35-70mm zoom lens that was a part of my X370 camera.

Can you help me in finding another camera that i can still use this lens with?

mriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:14 AM   #2

Minolta changed it's lens mount when it went to the Maxxum Autofocus System. That newer mount is used by the Sony Alpha line of dSLRs as well as the Minolta Maxxum 7D and 5D 6MP dSLRs.

The lenses you have won't mount onto these newer camera bodies without adapters, and those adapters won't autofocus the older lenses because those lenses don't have a mechanism to have the camera focus the lens, and many of hte adapters, including the adapters Minolta produced, don't even provide autofocus confirmation. This is important because, unlike the focusing screens in the older Minolta bodies, the focusing screens in dSLRs are not well suited for manual focusing.

Also, the adapters don'tsupport autoexposure either. And most of them act as teleconverters as well, adding from 1.1X to 2.0X to the focal length.

So trying to get anold Minolta MC or MD lens to work on a Minolta Maxxum or a Sony Alpha may save you a few bucks, it doesn't really buy you much.

I wish it weren't so. I've got a few lenses for my SRT-202 that I've tried to use on my Maxxum 5D, but it's been hardly worth my time, effort and money.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote