Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:26 PM   #1

I'm looking to get more serious with my photography and I like the versatility and growth available with an dSLR since one could stay with the same body for years and just get different lenses, although I'm still dithering a little about whether it might not be better to get something like a Cannon Power Shot S5 IS. I'll be using it for creating various stock images, pictures for image based lighting and textures for my 3D work as well as expanding my photography in its own right (especially landscape and macro).

I've been doing some research and I went and got my hands on some cameras and talked to some friends in photography and I like how the XT and XTi felt as well as the GUI and I was wondering if it was worth it to get the XTi over the XT.
Albert de Morcerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:54 PM   #2

Three major differences between the XT and the XTi are the resolution, the speed and accuracy of the autofocus system, and the size of the display.

The XT has an 8MP image sensor while the XTi has a 10MP image sensor. The difference isn't great, but the 10MP gives you a little more to work with in post processing.

The XTi has a faster, more accurate autofocus system. This really only comes into play when shooting sports, wildlife and other fast moving subjects. It doesn't sound like this would make a lot of difference for you.

Also, the XT has a 1.8 inch LCD display (for reviewing photos and setting menu options) while the XTi has a 2.5 inch LCD display.

And while they are about the same size, the XTi is slightly heavier.

More megapixels and the bigger screen would do it for me.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote