Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:09 AM   #21

Thank you all. I now have more homework to do and I bet I will be here again soon asking more questions
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:31 AM   #22

mtngal wrote:
Pentax is an old camera firm - I'm using a couple of lenses on my Pentax dSLR that I bought new in 1980! It's like using old friends again. The company has recently been bought out by Hoya, another old company that's been making lenses and filters and other things photographic for many years, and is now using a new Samsung sensor in one of their camera (and the same Sony sensor that's supposed to be in the Nikons in the other). Samsung actually sells re-badged Pentax cameras, there are some minordifferences but they are essentially the same.
Pentax is an interesting player now (especially since the acquisition by Hoya, since Hoya has lots of cash it could use to help with R&D, etc.). The relationship with Samsung is also an interesting one, and it looks like they're off to a great start with APS-C sensors (i.e., the sensor used in the new K20D).

I like the strategy of using weather proofed bodies (K10D, K20D, K200D) to distinquish some of the Pentax cameras from other models in their market niche.

Competition is good for all of us, since that means we get better cameras at lower prices as time passes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote