Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:54 PM   #1

Hi. You have a great site here with lots of information to digest. Here's what I'm asking about: I will be needing a professional quality videocam to video lectures at one of our local universities. Now, the school itself has nothing. They are immersed in IT but nothing of the actual video realm.

The University has asked me to start videotaping and archiving instructor lectures on a regular basis. The classrooms are small and I do not think lighting will be a factor. But audio definitely will be. The University also sponsors a monthly guest lecturer and they would like to have these moments archived as well. These events take place in a hall that seats 200 people. That considered, the camera must have a great zoom lens capability and sound here is definitely an issue. The possibility may also exist forrare but occasional panel discussions. Can you suggest a sound mixer, types of microphones and receivers?

Can you steer me towards aneasy to use but almost Tv professional digital videocam and since I am new at this, the accessories such as batteries, microphonesand tripods and a monitor as well. I know Sony used to be the best of the best but is that still the case? I realize this isa tall order. I won't say money isn't an object but it'll bea concern if it's too expensive.

Additionally, although I do not believe I'll be expected to do it, can you recommend an easy-to-use editing software program that can be used to create shorter versions of these videos if required.

I am not sure whether or not the University has computer projection capabilities, so in case they do not...can you suggest a program or computer that can perform those tasks as well?

Many thanks to you in advance for your wonderful professional assistance,

E. Gee
EGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links