Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:17 AM   #1

I take photography as a hobby. Currently I have Canon S3IS and am thinking of upgrading. I willl use this camera mostly for outdoor and landscape photography, both day and night.

I am confused between Canon EOS 400 (also known as XTI) and Nikon D60. The reason for shotlisting EOS 400(XTI) and not EOS 450(XSI) is mainly the reviews I have read and when I look both of these on paper then the price difference of 450 does not justify. Please correct me if I am wrong. Price is important, but as I will be using this camera for next few year I want to invest well.

Now can the experienced outdoor and landscape photographers help me choose the right camera. Also if you have any recommendations for the lenses 18-55 IS. Does IS or VR feature on 18-55 really worth paying for?

Thank you

iqbalamirpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:16 AM   #2

For what you say you want to do, either would be a good choice.

The Nikon D60 has a number of disadvantages. It has a slower autofocus system, and the selection of available lenses for it is smaller than for the Canon(s). But it seems neither of these would adversely affect you.

I think that since you've narrowed down your selection to these two (or three) cameras, each of which would be well suited to what you want to do, your next step should be to see how they feel to you. Ergonomics is important and very personal. If you can't comfortably hold a camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll mis some shots.

As to IS & VR, for the wide angle shots you say you want to do, image stabilization is ofd limited value. Image stabilization is mostly only useful at longer focal lengths.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Just about any dSLR camera is capable of taking good landscape and outdoor pictures - I happen to use Pentax dSLR and have lots of of pleasing pictures.

Image stabilization is good when you are using slower shutter speeds than you can personally hand-hold without camera shake. Everyone is different when it comes to this, but generally shutter speeds of 1/focal length of the lens is considered minimum for shots without shake. That means that if you are using a long telephoto lens like a 300mm, you'd want a shutter speed of 1/300 sec.or faster. A wider lens like 24mm would need 1/24 sec. That's why many people don't bother with stabilizated wide angle lenses - they either aren't shooting with such slow shutter speeds or they are using a tripod. It's a personal choice (I'm always pushing the envelope with shutter speeds so I like havingPentax's in-camera stabilization - if I were to buy either a Nikon or Canon camera I would want stabilization).

The kit lenses are OK, reasonable quality and a good place to start. When you say outdoor and landscape - are you the kind that likes to capture wide vistas or details? If you want wide vistas, you might eventually want something wider than 18mm somewhere later on. If you are one who looks at details, you'll want something longer than 55mm pretty quickly. So when buying a dSLR, keep in mind that at some later date you'll be buying one (or more) other lenses. I'm still a believer in not getting everything all at once - buy only when you find a real need for something that you can't get from your existing equipment.

Another camera you might check out is the Pentax K200. It offers weather sealing, which comes in really handy in snow, wet,and dusty conditions. It's not water-proof so you can't go diving with it, but works quite well in less than perfect weather.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:14 PM   #4

Thank you very much for your comments and I agree with you on your feedback for need of IS in slow shutter situations.

Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

If you go for the Canon then I would strongly recommend getting the 18-55 with IS. Not so much because the IS is that important, but rather because it is a MUCH better lens optically than the 18-55 non-IS.

I believe the same is not true with the Nikon.

In any event, as TCav is fond of pointing out, there is very little downside to having IS. You can always switchoff IS if you don't like it, if you don't have it you can't switch it on. On the 18-55 kit lenses the price differential is not terribly significant, the lenses from both Nikon and Canon are very good value.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:47 AM   #6

Hi, today I went to few stores in Sydney. I like the feel of both the cameras, but Nikon was better in navigating. But interesting Cannon AU has run out of the 55-200 IS lense. So none of the retailers have the IS lense and they have no idea when will it be available again. So I will wait for couple of weeks for the availability otherwise will buy Nikon.

Thanks for your comments