Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:54 AM   #1

I started into digital photography a few years ago with a Canon S1 IS. The 10X optical zoom and IS suited my need in sport photography. I found that I also liked being able to shoot short video clips in 640x480/30fps.

I wanted to add a compact camera; one that I could slip into my pocket and carry with me all the time. I chose the Canon IXUS 950IS (SD850IS). I only shoot at M2 resolution; which means Ican effectively get 6.3 zoom.I'm really happy with this little camera for still shots however, I have come to realise that losing the optical zoom and optical focus is a serious limitation.

Do all compact cameras lose optical zoom/focus when shooting video, due to their small size, or are there compact digital cameras that feature optical zoom and focus in movie mode?

Thanks in advance.

High_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:47 AM   #2

I'm also searching for a compact camera that offers optical zoom and image stabilization during movie mode. The only current camera I've found so far with these features is the Panasonic DMC-TZ5. This information is based on web reports and the operating manual I downloaded from Panasonic's site. Hope this helps!
Katahdin is offline   Reply With Quote