Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Hi all - I'm headed to South Africa in Sept and am in a quandry about upgrading my Canon EOS Elan 7 SLR (film) to a digital EOS Rebel (I have 2 Canon lenses), or rather going with an all-in-one Canon S5IS. I see advantages to both, but I guess I don't really want to lug a heavy and camera and lenses through the bush (along with binoculars - I am a birder and butterflier). I also don't want something that's going to be big and bulky and more visible to scoundrels. On the flip side, I'd like something that can take some rapid shots of something running or taking off (like me running from a p/o'd elephant - kidding). I know the SLR would shine here.

I've looked at a few other p/s zoons, like the Sony DSCH50 and Olympus SP560. Canon's reputation is hard to beat, even though I'm leaning more towards the Sony (wish it took AA batteries). As a backpacker and fast day hiker, weight is always a concern for me. Then again, so is image quality. OY!

Any wisdom to share?

Thanks mucho.
grobyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2

You may also want to check out Fuji digital cameras (especially what I would call the bridge models).Many of themuse AA batteries and have good resolution 8MP and 9MP depending on the camera. The S9100 has a 10x zoom and the s8000fd has 18x zoom. The long zoom will come in hndy for those bird and butterfly images you may want to take. The S9100 which I own will allow you to use filters in case you want to use a polizier or UV filter on the front of the lens.

Make sure whatever camera you get for your trip that you have enough battery power to last until you have the chance to chrage your batteries especially if you out in the field in the middle of nowhere. Also make sure you have enough memory card space to store all those images until you have a chance to off load them or get home to your computer. If you don't want to take your laptop a wolverine flashpack device 7000 series may be an option you want to look at as they can store 40GB+ of files from your memory card while your away, so you don;t have to carry loads of memory cards with you. If you don't go this route then carry at least 2 memory cards in case onedevlopes issues in the middle of an animal outing.......

I learned the hard way in 2006 when I went to Nashville and ran out of both battery power in the middle oftry to shoot some inner hotel scenesand on day 2 of 3 was down to only 12 more frames on my second of 2x 256MB memory cards.I ended up having to buy another memory card and paid double what I should have for it.Ever since then when I travel away from home I carry I always carry 4 sets of batteries and a 60GB wolverine storeage device.

I would recommend a 16GB transcend 133x CF card if you get the Fuji S9100 or another camera that can use CF cards. Its a nice card and has loads of room for all your photos.

Also carry something to clean the lense with as the sandy, dirt and dust will make your lense or filter dirty....

Hope these suggestions help make your trip memoriable.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:15 PM   #3

hello grobyak
i own a 7e and its a fab cam
if you still have your canon lenses you may want to consider the rebel xti (older model) or the upgraded xsi
both a mid sized and easy to handle
both should be compatable with canon ef lenses
whatever dont trade in your elan7 as its stil considered as a good camera
just my 2cents worth
hope it helps

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote