Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:02 PM   #1

I´m about to purchase my first slr, or heck first camera period - never had even as much as a compact camera before. Now, the problem is that I´m lost as to what I "want" and on the other hand what "I need". I´ve been looking at different cameras for the past 6-8 weeks and its getting annoying, I have to buy something soon so I can stop thnking about it...

At first I thought about getting a compat but after a while I was leaning more towards the slr cameras. Size doesnt matter that much, if I do take the camera with me it´ll be a planned event anyway, and I´m sure I could muster lugging a bag around, wouldnt be walking around with a camera all the time no matter which one I had. Then I had a look a the compacts that kinda look like slr cameras, but frankly I dont see the point in "18x" zoom or what not, the pictures look horrid and impossible to keep a steady hand, that and they cost almost as much as an actuall slr, so I might aswell get one.

Some facts so you can help as best as possibly=)

I will not be upgrading to a new camera within the next couple of years, I expect the camera that I choose to perform extremely well and produce great pictures. I will not be taking alot of pictures in dark situations or moving objekts. I will mostly take pictures of friends and family, animals, outdoors, clouds etc, I value wide pictures a ton higher than longzoom ranges, infact I doubt I wouldneedloong zooms for the pictures I want- and I want a camera that gives "warm" pictures. As an example here´s a few shots take with the 450d and after the e420 that seems to give worse pictures, too bright and without "warmth" ( is that just settings or is that the acutall difference between the two cameras? ):

I also work at a newspaper and have access to second hand professional lenses from, Nikon, I think it was - they where selling DH2 something 2 months back for 900 dollars or some such - but I doubt I´ll buy a new one, box kit one will have to due. Just thiought I´d mention it.

The cameras I´ve been looking at are from most expensive to cheapest one (in sweden) :

Nikon D80 + 18-55/3,5-5,6 VR

Olympus E-520 + 14-42/3,5-5,6 + 40-150/4,0-5,6

Canon EOS 450D + 18-55/3,5-5,6 IS

Olympus E-520 + 14-42/3,5-5,6

Olympus E-420 + 14-42/3,5-5,6 + 40-150/4,0-5,6

Olympus E-420 + 25/2,8

Olympus E-420 + 14-42/3,5-5,6

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Between the e420 and e520 I assume theygive the same quality of pictures. As far as I´ve gathered the difference is that the e420 lacks IS, but does that come with the lens provided instead? And other than that is there a difference that warrents almost 200 dollars more?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A second question here is with regards to the lenses, do I need two or would I be just fine with the 14-42 lens - in what situation would I want the 40-150 lens. And also how does the pancake lens compare with the two above. Or would I be even better off with the pancake lens for wider pictures. Or have I missunderstood how lenses work?

Between the olympus cameras whats the difference going to a 450d or a d80? Enough to warrant the extra money? The difference is quite large money wise.

I´ve handled the e520, d80 and 450d and I didnt really have any preference between them.

So all in all out of the cameras listed is the best one, best one period in terms of different areas, picture, gadgets etc, and best one for my needs. And lastly.. .would I notice a difference at all in terms of picture quality between these cameras or is it just the "gadgets" that costs?

I´ll add more questions later on ifI come up with more, thanks in advance

Knaspedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:22 PM   #2

To put it simply, the Canon is the most flexible of your choices, followed closely by the Nikon.

Where the Olympus choices shine is that they are the smallest, lightest choices. If that is in any way important to you, then I'd suggest the E-520 two lens kit. It has sensor shift image stabilization that the E-420 doesn't have. Since you don't know where photography will take you, an Olympus is a considerable gamble, however. Of all the dSLR manufacturers, Olympus has the smallest choice of lenses and accessories, and additional lensescan bequite expensive. That makes Olympus dSLRs more difficult to tailor toward a particular application. In that respect, the Canon and the Nikon would be much better choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote