Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:10 PM   #1

I don't know a lot about cameras. I have been asking around and nobody could give me an answer I registered here just to ask..

I need a camera that takes pictures THIS SECOND. I cant wait and turn it on for a couple seconds. It doesn't have to have a display.
People have been telling me about the Sony cyber shot... Its a little expensive but they make one with a phone on it to so that's convenient. but not really necessary. since I don't need a screen or the highest quality I thought maybe I could be recommended something cheaper.

and if possible something that fits in my pocket easy to carry on me at all times... but if not I'm not going to be too picky about it..

hope someone knows what I'm talking about...

mmmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:35 PM   #2

What you're talking about is 'Lag Time'. DSLRs have virtually no lag time, but that may be more than you want to spend, and it definately wouldn't fit in your pocket.

Do you have any other requirements for a camera? Perhaps you could tell us what kinds of photos you want to take.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:51 PM   #3

yeah ive done a little reasearching around this site and DSLR's are not what im looking for. mabye if there was some kind of cheap mini one...

I wouldnt really want anyone to notice im talking a picture... (not illegal or dirty:-)) you can look at it as a sercret underground investigative reporter kinda thing:G
any ideas.

like the old film cameras would be perfect if not for developing messed up pictures because they just snap right away no bull.

dosent need highquality, dosent need display, dosent need flash. needs to be able to take a picture the moment it comes out of my pocket...
mmmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:47 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The bad news is that there isn't really a very good camera of the sort you are looking for.

Probably just about your best bet is something like the Ricoh GX200 or perhaps the Canon G9.

The Ricoh allows you to pre-set your focal length and do zone focussing in MF mode (all with presets). So it's just about the closest thing you'll find in a small camera to an instant-shoot device.

If you can live with a slightly larger camera body you should have a peek at the Olympus 420 + 25mm f2.8 pancake lens. You could put it in a large pocket. It's a very good street-shooting DSLR camera; small and light, very responsive, and with much better image quality than the P&S cameras can manage.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:05 AM   #5

yeah, im afraid the quicker cameras get, the heavier, bulkier and more expensive they get as well.

That is a hole in the market though, im sure some camera company could exploit this by making a super quick small camera.

- Sim
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:26 AM   #6

No digital camera is ready to use as soon as you pull it out of your pocket, unless it's already turned on. The process of turning on a camera will take a few seconds. If you can't live with that, you're out of luck.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote