Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:36 PM   #1

Hi there,

I'm slightly torn on which path to take, regarding the purchasing of a new camera. For a bit of background information:

- I'm mainly a point-and-shoot guy, though I do appreciate bells and whistles

- My budget really shouldn't exceed $350

- My preference is toNOT buy two separate cameras - one still and one video; i.e., I'd like a camera that "does it all."

- I'd like the camera I get to be a still, with included video capture

-I'd like the stills to be of good quality, but since I'm probably not going to be blowing them up, noise won't be much of an issue (unless it's evident at all sizes)

- I'd like the video to be good quality (ideally, 720p @ 30fps). For me, the quality of the video is slightly more important than the quality of the pictures. Audio for the video should be decent as well.

The reason why I'm shying away from a camcorder is mainly the cost and what you get for it. Meaning, for a good HD camcorder, I'd have to put down at least $700, and in most cases the photo quality of the camcorder won't be very good, unless you're willing to spend much more (I've reached this conclusion based on my own research - which has been lengthy). With a still, you'll get pretty good photos and videoquality that, although won't be as good as an HD camcorder,will still be 720p at a decentframe rate.

My needs and research have pointed me to two options:Panasonic Lumix TZ5 and Samsung NV24.

My question is: Which is better overall and which is better for me?

If anyone finds something they think would be more suitable for me, that would be great, but please be mindful of my budget.

All help is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TarekZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:46 PM   #2

Without a doubt the Panasonic TZ-5 is the MUCH BETTER choice.

Sarah Jpyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote