Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:40 PM   #1

hi! - so, i'm looking at spending less than $300, purchase to be made in the next week or so, and it's gotta be an ultracompact (i'll be carrying it around in my shorts pocket while travelling abroad,and it'll be used to taketourist-type pictures).

that being said, i've been looking at canons (sd750 &870IS - i prefer the physicallayout of these models over the other sd models), panasonics (fx35 & 55), and a casio (s10).

the most important things to me are easy of use and quickness (to turn on, focusing, shutter lag, and time between pictures).

i must admit that the s10 is appealing to me solely based on its size, but the times i've fooled around with it in the store it's been slow and the pictures don't look so good on the display (could this be b/c it was recording pictures on internal memory or b/c it's a floor model?). anyone out there own one and can chime in on this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks in advance!
jergrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:01 PM   #2

The SD870 IS is about everything you could want in a compact point and shoot digital camera. It offers excellent image quality, a large vivid LCD display, intelligent defaults...

I'm very pleased with my purchase of the SD870 IS and am looking forward to using it to snap high quality pics of the latest gadgets at next year's Consumer Electronics Show.

weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:30 PM   #3

No offense intended, BUT the Pansonic LZ-8 at $(US) 149.00 offers a WHOLE lot more than the SD-870. How do I know you might ask??

I own both the SD-870 and the Panasonic LZ-8. With 5X optical zoom, plus full Manual and Automatic Controls as well as IA (Intelligent Auto), truly it is the BETTER choice. Please read Steves Review of the LZ-8.

Here is a sample photo from the LZ-8 taken WITHOUT flash in a darkened restaurant.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote