Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:00 AM   #1

After many years wishing my fuji S602 was a SLR im having to update. THIs is due to the s602 getting well and truely soaked although water resistant it couldnt handle been in a water proof bag with 2 pints of water (doh).

Im after the cheapest package posssible which no doubt will not be the best and will not give me the range i want.

looking on the dreaded ebay i found the following around my price range:
(yes i realise they will be old ,slow and out dated with many shots on the clock)

Pentax *ist D

Fuji S1

Nikon D1

(If there are any more models with you can think of please let me know)

I am a mountain biker, hiker, biker and traveller. Ideally i want a camera whichwill be strong and take the odd knock. whilst been able to take sports shots (lens dependent) and generally landscapes etc.

From my 602 i have found that MP is not that inportant to me as my shots never get printed greater than A4. Also that layout is not inportant as i hated mine when i bought it now i love it , you just get used to things i think.

things that really annoyed me about the 602 was the time it took before i could take a shot, time between shots as the image was saved and the shocking AF.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction, i realise im trying to do this all wrong but im in my thrid year at uuniversity and money is a massive issue.
simoncpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:01 AM   #2

The concensus here seems to be that used dSLRs should come with more than just a 14 day money back guarantee. They should come with a warranty, and that's something you won't generally find on eBay.

At the top end of that scale are places like Adorama.com that sell factory refurbished units at as much as a 25% discount, especially on discontinued units.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:36 PM   #3

For those that are on a REALLY low budget, I have a suggestion. Consider a Konica-Minolta 5D or 7D with a few of the Minolta legacy lenses, which are still very economical.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote