Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1

I have a Minolta Maxxum 5 with two lenses - an AF 28-100 and an AF 75-300. I want to purchase a digital body that these lenses will fit. What are your recommendations?
CPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Sony purchased Konica-Minolta's camera related assets and their dSLR models use the Maxxum lens mount.

Current models that you can use your lenses with include the Sony DSLR-A200, DSLR-A300, DSLR-A350 and DSLR-A700.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3

Something you should know about dSLRs is that the digital image sensor they useis about 2/3 the size of a 35mm film exposure. That means that those lenses have a different angle of view on a dSLR than you might be accustomed to. For instance, the A200 and A300 come with an 18-70mm lens wich has almost exactly the same angle of view, and exactly the same maximum apertureas the 28-100 you already have. That also means that the 28-100 will have the same angle of view as a 42-150mm lens on your Maxxum 5, and your 75-300 will have the same angle of view as a 112-450mm lens.

This means that the 28-100 you've already got wouldn't be much use since it doesn't add much to the lens that comes withmost Sony dSLRs. I'd also like to mention that, while the two lenses you already have aren't bad lenses, they aren't great lenses either, so bringing them forward to a dSLR doesn't really save you much. The kit lens would cover most of the range of your 28-100, and the 75-300 could be replaced with an even better Sigma APO or Tamron DI LD of the same range for less than $200 (which you could get by selling your lenses.)

I'm just suggesting that the lenses you've got shouldn't keep you from considering dSLRs from other companies. After considerable research, you may very well end up with a Sony. I just don't think that your existing lenses shouldn't keep you from considering other brands.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:36 PM   #4

Often times you will be able to find a Konica-Minolta 5D on www.ebay,com. And add to that that there are still a good number of Minolta lenses available also on e-bay, that makes for a very LOW COST DSLR camera solutions package.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote