Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:26 PM   #1

I have been using a Canon PowerShot S1 IS for the past few years and I am ready to find a more compact point and shoot for travel and every day use. I love my Canon but I can never take good pictures in low light (in museums, monuments at night). I have heard great reviews on the Fuji F20, but I am concerned about its performance in normal light conditions. Does anyone have experience with the F20 in normal light? And What are some great cameras that have image quality comparable to a Canon in normal light thatcan also capture low light photos without a flash. I have been looking at the Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, SD1100 IS, Sony Cybershot DSCW170 (150 or 120), Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4, DMC FS3...but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you : )

easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the camera you are looking for doesn't exist.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:15 PM   #3

The SD-870 is a good camera but rather limited in my opinion. If the budget is tight look at the Panasonic LZ-8 ($149) and check out Steve's Review on the LZ-8. The advantage of the LZ-8 is that it has full Manual and Auto controls, plus IA or Intelligent Auto (which really works well) as well as 5X optical zoom which neither the SD-870 or the F-20 has.

If you can get beyond shirt pocket size, look at the Sony H-10. The H-10 has great last range and 10X optical zoom. Here is a sample photo from the LZ-8 taken without flash in a restaurant yesterday (07/27) handheld at F 3.3 at 1/8th of a second under a 60 watt light bulb.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote