Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1

i am planing to buy a nikon d40. i have two choices by which i want to purchase the camera..... My first possibility is to get the camera FACTORY refurbished from sammy's camera and ALSO get the 3 year warranty with the refurb camera. the camera is $100 cheaper when refurbished so with that extra $100 i will get a warranty (accidental) lasting 3 years... my OTHER choice is to simply get the camera brand new and just keep the factory 1 year warranty with NO warranty extension (warranty will be for only 1 year instead of 3 like the refurb). both choices will cost pretty much the same if anything the refurb camera + 3 year warranty will cost a little less. (considering i'm pretty carful with my camera but the camera is a refurbished piece so a warranty is a good idea just incase).

WHAT IS A BETTER CHOICE: THE NEW CAMERA OR THE FACTORY REFURB (people at the store say its like new) WITH A 3 YEAR WARRANTY??????

-help me out, having a dilemma (is the factory refurb trustworthy?????/
danielpouldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2

I FORGOT TO SAY.. the camera is refurbished by nikon themselves
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:28 AM   #3

Is the warranty with Nikon or Sammy's?

It's not likely that the camera was refurbished by Nikon. They probably won't ship a used camera back to Japan, refurbish it, and ship it back the the USA. But if it was refurbished by the warranty service provider (whoever that is for Nikon), that's just as good.

What you are describing is a very good deal, on it's face. But if the warranty is with Sammy's, then the camera was refurbished by Sammy's, not Nikon, and if something goes wrong, you have to bribng it back to Sammy's. That probably won't be a problem, unless you move sometime in the next 3 years.

If everything in this deal is legitimate, jump on it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:00 AM   #4

the extended warranty is from sammys but the refurbished job is done by nikon themselves.. SHUD I GO NeW OR USED + WARRANTY???
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:10 AM   #5

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
the extended warranty is from sammys but the refurbished job is done by nikon themselves.. SHUD I GO NeW OR USED + WARRANTY???
If you think that, during the next three years, there will be a Sammy's close buy, jump on it.

If you move to Pensylvania inthree months, a warranty from Sammy's of Maine isn't worth much. You haven't given many details about your situation. Are you in the military, or are you going away to college soon?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:03 AM   #6

Just an observation-

I have purchased a number of "Factory Refurbished" cameras. The only camera that did not hold up more than a year was a Nikon Factory Refurbished DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:58 PM   #7

not going to be moving what so ver. i jst want to know whats a better buy. the new camera (with the stock 1 year warranty) or the NIKON FACTORY refurbished with a three year warranty.

WHAT DO U THINK?????
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:17 PM   #8

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
not going to be moving what so ver. i jst want to know whats a better buy. the new camera (with the stock 1 year warranty) or the NIKON FACTORY refurbished with a three year warranty.

WHAT DO U THINK?????
TCav wrote:
Quote:
If you think that, during the next three years, there will be a Sammy's close buy, jump on it.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:06 PM   #9

so i shud for sure get the refurb.. do u think the camera wil have problems considering it is not 100% new???
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:15 AM   #10

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
so i shud for sure get the refurb..
Yes.

danielpouldar wrote:
Quote:
do u think the camera wil have problems considering it is not 100% new???
I think there's a chance that it will, but that's why it's $100 cheaper.

This is like Term Life Insurance. The Life Insurance Company is betting you won't die during the term of the policy, and you're betting you will.

You're betting that the used D40 will have just as many problems as a new one; Sammy's is betting it won't have any problems, and Nikon doesn't care.