Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:01 PM   #1

I'm going to possibly get an dslr camera soon, and I wanted to know what camera I should get..According to my price range I'm looking at a Nikon D40, a Sony A200, or a Canon Rebel EOS Xti..I was wondering which of the 3 is better..Or possibly another camera that would be good?
sessuhhlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:38 AM   #2

The Canon XTi has the best autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife, and the best selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories.

The Sony A200 has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, which reduces (if not eliminates) motion blur due to camera shake, whatever lens is mounted on the camera body. (Canon and Nikon rely on optical image stabilization in only some of their lenses.) It's selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories isn't as good as Canon's, but their selection of used Minolta lenses is quite good.

The Nikon D40 is 6MP while the others are 10MP, it has the least capable autofocus system in this group, and doesn't have an internal autofocus motor so many OEM and thirdparty lenses won't autofocus on it.

Have you tried any of these cameras?

What types of photography interest you?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:53 PM   #3

canon right now has the widest selection with lenses including the conversion lenses a total of 63 lenses.

sony on the other hand if you include minolta lenses (that are available on minolta site). has 72 lenses available excluding conversion lenses (but some of these lenses are simply minolta lenses re badged as sony).

for the auto focus system a200 is about 1.7 times faster then a100 which also wasnt a slow camera at all. i am not sure about canons auto focus performance but a200 is pretty good.

the downside with a200 is its pretty below average iso performance especially at iso1600 which almost all the time forces you to shoot in raw. and its autofocus performance is dramatically slower in low light conditions. (plus u have to use the pop up flash which is quite a bit annoying both for the photographer and the people being photographed)

those 2 cameras are both very nice entry level cameras (but again al entry level cameras are very nice these days, so its hard to go wrong).
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote