Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:03 PM   #1

looking at the specs the 40D looks better on paper, but owning a canon makes me feel like i'm buying a printer or fax machine.. Nikond marketing teamis obviously far better at brainwashing me.

i've 90% settled on the D80.. now with the D90 coming out the price will drop significantly.. (goody for me coz i get a great camera!)

the Canon 50D was announced recently too.. which means the 40D will also drop drasticly too.

SO WHEN they have dropped in price.. which would you choose? - based on your experience.

thanks all
candleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:55 AM   #2

I wouldn't be too hopeful for a dramatic price drop for a new camera. Both have dropped steadily over the last several months, and although they may drop a bit more, don't expect anything huge...maybe another 10%. Now, they may drop more dramatically in the used department as the market will likely be flooded with people selling off their old bodies and upgrading.

Comparing the two (the D80 vs 40d), without a doubt, the 40d is the better choice in most cases, especially if you shoot a lot of sports or action. And I own a D80. The 40d is faster, more featured, and better durability. The 40d is closer spec'd to the D200 than the D80. If you're looking Nikon, there should still be some D200 available, which is what I would choose if you're looking at an older camera with a stronger feature set.

Really, alot depends on what kind of shooting you like to do.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:46 AM   #3

I ran across this on the D90.....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote