Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:25 PM   #11

I took your advice and went to find some of these cameras to hold. I don't like the Nikon 40/60. My friend has this camera (I forget which). I found the controls hard to find/understand. Also I'm so used to having the zoom lever on my old camera and this Nikon has the on/off lever switch in the exact same position that I kept accidentally turning it off. Haven't found anybody with Pentax cameras yet. Got a couple camera shop locations I haven't checked yet (just went to electronics stores so far).

The Olympus E series was uncomfortable and hard to grip. It hurt my wrist. I liked the controls and the feel of the Canon XSi. They didn't have the XTi. From what I can tell the body shape is the same. The changes made in the new XSi don't seem like anything I'd miss for the opportunity to save a lot of cash going with an older model. I've always bought my cameras one or two models behind the times to save some money.

I've been researching the Olympus sp570 a bit more. It seems it still has some of the problems my old one had. The big no-nos being trouble focusing in low light, purple fringes in high contrast, and high tendancy for noise in low light/high iso. I think I'll go the dSLR route. I guess I'll just have to forego the super long lens while in the canoe. Or be really careful & use the camera out of the water proof bag when I'm not moving and have no passengers to unsteady the canoe. Leaning towards the Canon but no decisions yet.
Cillana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:17 PM   #12

The Canon XTiis a good choice, especially for your birding.

And for use while canoeing, you could go with something like this: http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#588X1411
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote