Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Canon S5 IS vs Fuji S8000fd
Canon S5 IS 1 50.00%
Fuji S8000fd 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:24 AM   #1

This is my first time posting here and I'm looking for some guidance on a new camera. I currently own a Nikon Coolpix S4 and I can't stand the lag between photos. I have a 4 year old son that I'm trying to get good pictures of but the camera takes so long between photos I can't get a decent shot. Our old film camera was much better. I've looked at Steve's Best and I am wondering which is better for getting quick pictures, the Canon or Fuji? I'm also open to other suggestions in that price range. Also, I'm an auto everything user. TIA.
SALinNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2

Both of the selected cameras are excellent. You do not sat what percentage of your photos are taken with flash, because that will play into your decision. The Canon S-5 is an excellent camera with a week flash, and some ISO setting limitations. Auto ISO on the S-5 will only raise the ISO setting to a maximum of ISO 250. It will not raise the ISO any higher, because above that ISO setting of 250, the camera begins to show a lot of noise in the photo. The Canon solution is to use an external flash unit like the EX-430 flash, which means an additional investment of around $(US) 250.00.

The Fuji S-8000 and S-8100 can handle higher ISO settings, therefore, AUTO ISO can set higher ISO settings when needed, such as when taking flash photos at distances greater than 10 to 12 feet.

If flash photos compromise 30% or less of your photos, the the S-5 is a good choice. Otherwise, the Fuji S-8000 or S-8100 becomes your choice. Both cameras have little shutter and processing delays.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote