Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:35 PM   #1

Can you please tell me how I can figure out which camera would be compatible with my lenses? I have a film minolta slr and I want to go digital, but I have two lenses I'd like to keep if possible. The lenses are Sigma DL Zoom lenses: 35-80 mm and 100-300 mm.

Is it worth trying to do this? Thanks!

Marianne90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:23 AM   #2

it's certainly worth it to keep your lenses and go digital. sony bought konica-minolta and uses the same mount for its digital slrs nowadays. however, because the digital slr sensor is smaller than film, the resulting field of view in your lens will be as if the focal length was 1.5x longer; this means you should probably pick a shorter general-purpose lens (most bodies have a 'kit' lens available for a few dollars more), since your sigma 35-80 would have an equivalent focal length of 52.5-120mm, which is generally not wide enough for general purpose shooting.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:19 PM   #3

Are your Minolta lenses Minolta Maxxum (the AF ones)? If so, no problem, buy a Sony. If they are the earlier MF versions, then I don't think they will work - that's how I understand it works.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote