Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:33 PM   #1

Well, after some long thinking I've decided I don't want to spend lots of money on a DSLR camera, as I just wouldn't be able to/want to use it much around this area. I will get one later on in life when I have more money etc.

It's a price thing really, I know they're very advance etc but my other hobbies are just as/more expensive .

So I'm looking for a cheap non-DSLR camera.

These are things it would ideally need.

Around the budget of around 120 pounds or less. (~$220 USD)

I would like a very chunky camera easy to grip camera, it will be used pretty much 90% of the time inside the house. Function over form by miles!!!

Low noise sensor quality is at the upmost of importance!

Advance menu options, such as ISO, Aperture, Exposure, Shutter speed, Macro, White balance etc.

Some kind of optical stabilization system (not software!).

I'm willing to go up a little on budget if it means I get all the above.

Megapixels are not that important, but good quality is a must as above.

Will be used inside the house taking pictures of remote control model and parts of them 90% of the time in good lighting but may have shadows hidden inside them. 10% of the time outside taking pictures.

Thank you very much!

Technex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:44 PM   #2

The Fuji F50fd and F60fd come the closest, but are ultracompacts, no grip.

The Canon A-series, Canon SX110, Nikon P60, Panasonic LZ-series, Sony H10, and various SLR-like P&S all have some "grip". But none are stellar in low light.

The coming Nikon P6000 may meet all requirements, but will be way over your budget.

The Sony W150 kind of flirts with your requirements, but like the Fujis is an ultracompact, no grip.

One game plan would be to get a Nikon P60 from a store that makes returns easy. Immediately put it through a low light trial. If it fails, return and work out a PlanB.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:17 PM   #3

Thanks Kcook!

I've been doing a lot of research and I've narrowed it down to all these:

SX100 IS (£150)

SX110 IS (£200)

A720 IS (£140)

A590 IS (£100)

I love the look of both the SX series, but I honestly don't know if it's worth the price increase over the A590.

The A720 is in the middle kind of, but I get this feeling I should just pay the little bit more and get one of the SX range.

Could anyone help me decide, and give a bit more info between the SX 100 and 110?

The 110 seems to have less grip from pictures and a little smaller screen (1 smaller MP but doesn't matter). Is it worth the 50 pounds more (80$)?

Thanks very much!
Technex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:17 PM   #4

The quality of all of those is quite good, I'd say top drawer for each price level. So I think the choice really comes down to use. As a family camera, to be passed around for use by everybody, the A590 is a joy. Very easy to learn and use, but still does have manual controls for those instances where you want that. Could also be seen as reasonable "every day" camera for a 2-camera purchasing plan. About the only downside to the A590 is that there are sleek ultracompacts that are nearly as capable (confession time, I have a Fuji ultracompact).

Agree on the A720, nice camera, but the SX100 is even nicer.

SX100 at a closeout price vs SX110 at a higher price is a tough choice. The SX100 certainly was not shabby, by any means! But we are forced to refer to it in the past tense. I would shop hard for the best deal on a SX110.

While the SX110 is very nice, that is enough money that there is some effective competition from various ultracompacts. Not so easy a choice at that price level.

KCook is offline   Reply With Quote