Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1

Does anyone have sample portrait images using Canon SX110 (or 100)? I am hoping to see the effect of blurred background created byusing this camerawhen shooting people. Thanks!!
ymafree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:29 AM   #2

As I mentioned in the other thread... it's going to be very difficult to get a blurred background with a non-dSLR camera model. Their sensors are just too small for that purpose, unless you're shooting a small subject (flower, bird, etc.).

You'd have to try and zoom in more and take a head shot (which means you'd need plenty of room so you could shoot from further away), filling the frame with the subject's head only (versus including more of their body), with a lot of distance between them and the background. Even then, you may not be satisfied with the amount of blur.

You can see some user albums from one of these cameras here:

If you want a system that allows you to isolate your subject from the background more with portraits, I'd look at an entry level dSLR model and get a brighter prime (non-zoom) lens with it with wider available apertures (represented by smaller f/stop numbers), or use a longer zoom lens provided you have plenty of room (outdoor type shots). I'd look at models with APS-C size sensors at a mininum (i.e., Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax). You can get an entry level camera for around $500 or so now. Models with sensors the same size as 35mm film are better. But, they're going to be priced much higher (starting at around $2500 now).

non-dSLR camera models have *very* tiny sensors. That means the actual focal length used to get a given 35mm equivalent focal length (same angle of view) is very short, resulting in a very large depth of field (amount of the image in focus as you get further away from your focus point) for any given subject framing and focus distance. That's why they can offer cameras so small that have such long zoom ranges, when the lenses would need to be much larger for a film camera or dSLR with a larger sensor.

That results in a *lot* of depth of field compared to a model with a larger sensor or film size.

I see this issue come up relatively often in forums, with members asking why they can't get a blurred background with their new [insert model here] camera. Here's one recent thread about it:

It's a matter of physics. The sensors in non-dSLR camera models are just too small for that purpose, unless you're shooting smaller subjects. If you want to blur the background shooting larger subjects (i.e., your people photos) with a non-dSLR camera model, your best bet would be to use an editor to do it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your suggestion.I have viewed the samples from SD100and really am not pleased with the effect that I see. Now I am considering the DSLR. Do you have any suggestions for a lightweight basic DSLR? The weight is a big issue for me - with 2-year-old twins I really don't want to have to carry another heavy camera (which is why I have not been considering DSLR). Many thanks!
ymafree is offline   Reply With Quote