Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:23 PM   #11

The Canon 40D is going to put a big dent in your $1,000 budget, as would the Nikon D90.

A flash will be at least $200. A moderate telephoto zoom will be at least another $200. That leaves $600 (at most!)for a dSLRand kit lens.

From among Canon's offerings, I think the Canon XSi, XS, or XTi would be best. The XSi and XS come with a stabilized kit lens which would be a good idea, though not essential when using flash, but could be handy for outdoors and moderatly well lit indoors. They also have 'Live View' which can make indoor shots easier. The XSi is 12mp while the others are 10MP.

The Nikon D60 you mentioned comes with a stabilized kit lens, and is 10MP.

Sony has the A200 ($500, 10MP) and theA300 ($600, 10MP, 'Live View') both of which have stabilized bodies, and the A300 is also available with a second kit 55-200mm lens for $800, which would only leave you without a flash, but with $200 left in your budget to get one. Sony also has the A350 ($800, 14MP, 'Live View'), also available with the second kit lens ($1,000), but that would leave you without a flash.

Pentax has the stabilized K200D ($600, 10MP) that might also work well.

There's also the Olympus models that might work well, and are available with two kit lenses. The Olympus dSLRs have some drawbacks, but if you plan to use flash, most of those drawbacks won't affect you very much. The E-420 and E-520 are 10MP and have 'Live View', and the E-520 is stabilized.

Would it be possible for you to go to a good camera store and try out some of these? A big part of your success with a dSLR depends on how comfortable you are with it, and it's a good idea to try them before you buy one.

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:27 PM   #12

One more thing to be aware of... Nikon may not want to service a camera that's not intended for the country you live in if you try to get it serviced outside of the region you purchased it in. So, I'd take that into consideration. I'd check with Canon in Chile to see what their policy is on it, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:45 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
As far as the price goes, I'm trying to do it for under $1,000. Complete kit. I've found some amazing deals on the net.
There are lots of scam artists around with nice looking web sites that have professional looking logos from manufacturers, review sites, etc. Most of the scammers are located in the Brooklyn, New York area, where they seem to be able to get away with it.

When you see prices that are much lower than you find at http://www.buydig.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com (both are reputable dealers) on major brand gear, there is usually going to be a catch. ;-)

The scammers will call you to confirm the order (or send you an e-mail asking you to call them to confirm it). Then, you'll also find out that they'll want to sell you high priced batteries, extended warranties, stuff that normally comes with the camera anyway, want to include inflated shipping and insurance charges (sometimes unauthorized). Anything to increase their profit (since they can't sell the camera alone at the advertised prices without losing money).

If you don't buy enough of the outrageously priced extras, your camera will suddenly go to backorder status (of course, the web sites still show them in stock and your credit card has been charged). They'll often sell gray market gear, too (not intended for sale in the country you live in with a store versus manufacturers warranty).

This has been going on for years. It's a racket.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a reputable dealer.

Make sure to check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com
(they're a bit better about filtering out fake customer reviews compared to most ratings sites)

If they are not listed, avoid them (these guys tend to start up new web sites often under a variety of names). If they have a small number of customer reviews there, avoid them (they tend to try and get away with padding their own ratings with glowing reviews). Some even seem to have their own ratings sites now (with all of the stores listed being same old scammers, with the reviews unbelievably good).

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

Let me do some digging and see what some of the kits are selling for now from reputable dealers. ;-) Will he have to buy at a store location somewhere (where retail prices may be a bit higher than you can find from legitimate mail order dealers), or will he be able to place an order and wait for it to be shipped to an address here somewhere?

BTW, http://www.bhphotovideo.com ships to overseas addresses (as do a few other reputable dealers).
Awesome... Thanks for the advice... Turns out my favorite site has locations in Brooklyn and in Arizona and are renowned scam artists. D@mn it!

Time to come back down to earth and look at real prices... So I'm back in the D60 range with 2 lenses at NewEgg...

Any other suggestions. Looks like a Canon D40's going to set me back at least $1,300 and honestly that might be stretching myself a little too thin....
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:00 PM   #14

Given service considerations, staying Canon sounds like a good bet. I'd probably look at something like the XS or XSi kit with the 18-55mm IS lens, and get a Canon 580 EX II Flash with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote