Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1

hi all.

can you give me some advise please?

i'm looking to buy a new compact after a very very disappointing olympus mju725sw.

i'm looking at a canon sx110is or panasonic tz5, what are your views on these or have you another suggestion. i've had a canon before and regretted selling it. how good are the panasonics?
my budget is £200 max

the camera needs to be an all rounder, with picture quality and a decent zoom a must!
would you consider second hand? if so could i get a better camera?

thankyou in advance

gazbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:44 AM   #2

Two good point and shoots, dont thinks you will be disappointed with either in terms of IQ. I think the canon has a little more in terms of manual controls and is the later of the 2 cams.

Have you been to the shops and held these cams and gone through their menu systems this might help make your mind up especially as you say you have had canons before.

tag007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:57 PM   #3

The TZ5 has a more solid body, is more pocket sized, has a better lens, has a wider wide-angle and a better LCD.

The SX110IS has better picture quality (in my opinion) and full manual controls, including aperture priority and shutter priority.

For a serious photographer, or someone who wants to be one, a camera with manual controls, like the SX110IS, is a must. However, since I already own a camera with full manual controls, I'd probably buy the TZ5.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote