Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:18 PM   #11

carter64 wrote:
Photography should be FUN. I think a lot of people foreget that sometimes. Learn to use the camera and have fun.
Agreed - it should be fun. BUT, HS basketball is a tough situation to get photos in. Photography isn't fun when it becomes frustrating because 90% of your photos get tossed. The primary purpose for the new camera, according to the OP is basketball. It stands to reason the camera the OP buys should give her a reasonable chance at success.

Having said all that - do you have a particular camera to suggest that you've seen will capture HS basketball photos? Which, after all, is the purpose of this post?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:49 PM   #12

Most of the point & shoot cameras on the market will work fine. I like most of nikons. If money is no issue I would go forFujifilm finepix s100fs because at works like a dslr but only one lens to mess with.
carter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:31 PM   #13

I might get that camera, too, if I didn't have a DSLR. However, what John says bears repeating. It's really hard to get sharp pictures inside the average hs gym. without a DSLR and a bright/fast lens. I used to be able to use my Fuji S5200 to get ok (for me) pics of games in Seattle's Key Arena, but that arena was much brighter than most hs gyms. The OP should get whatever camera he wants (and enjoy it), but he may be disappointed with theresults.

Most point and shot cameras, especially the superzooms, don't have great image quality above ISO 800. I used that S5200 with ISO 800 and wide open aperture of f3.2. The resulting shutter speed was at best 1/150 of a second. Sometimes it dipped to 1/100 of a second. The S100fs is probably better than that at high ISO's but the problem is that at telephoto settings, the widest aperture is f5.3. That means that my old S5200 got more than 2 1/2 times more light at full zoom than the S100fs does at full zoom. So whereas I could use ISO 800 to get pictures ok for me, I would have to use ISO 1600 or higher to get anywhere near the same shutter speeds.

I fully sympathize with the desire to have fun with the camera you choose and ignore the advice of people who say you need to spend so much more to get decent results. But in my experience, it seems that the advice John has given is correct. Point and shoots don't usually do well in high school gyms during basketball games.

The attached picture was taken atf/3.5, ISO400, 1/130th of second shutter speed. This was in a pro arena. High school gyms areusually much dimmer than this

Attached Images
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:39 PM   #14

carter64 wrote:
Most of the point & shoot cameras on the market will work fine.
Out of curiosity do you have some sample photos of HS basketball games with any particular models?

If you don't happen to shoot basketball, here's a shot from a typical gym - ISO 2000, f2.0 and 1/500. Current point and shoots do not have F2.0. The widest you'll get is 2.8. Roughly that's ISO 3200, f2.8 and 1/400 (assuming the camera maxes out at 3200). Do you by chance have some action (not still, but action) shots at 3200 from one of the cameras you believe will do the job?

For reference, this is what the shot looks like out of a DSLR:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:59 PM   #15

The entry price is roughly $500 if you don't want blurry photos. ;-)

At that price point, I'd get a reconditioned Nikon D50 with a warranty from a reputable dealer like Cameta (they're selling them at $399 right now), and slap a 50mm f/1.8 AF lens on it (under $100). Then, pick an end to get shots on and shoot from under the basket. ;-)

Shoot at ISO 1600, f/2 and 1/400 second for starters and adjust from there until exposure looks right (checking the histogram and image for blown highlights, etc.). Just use a faster shutter speed for a darker exposure or a slower shutter speed for a brighter exposure, keeping the aperture a tad down from wide open.

On a tight budget, I'd forget the point and shoot models. They're just not going to cut it if you want stop action for indoor sports. Set a custom white balance for better results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote