Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:34 PM   #1

I've just started shopping around for a new point and shoot, and it seems like some good ones don't support SD cards, but rather XD cards.

I found that weird because I thought SD was the more universlly accepted kind.

Am I wrong? Is one better than the other? Is the new standard in cameras to support multiple types of storage?

losdavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:55 PM   #2

xD cards are used mostly in Olympus and Fuji Cameras. SD cards are being replaced by SDHC cards in newer cameras because they can hold over 2GB of data. xD are not as widley used as SD or SDHC cards are. xD cards are limited at this time to 2GB of data.

In my opinion and I may be wrong itr seems like SDHC and CF cards are the two ones that are most in use todfay followd by Sony Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo and xD with SD cards in older cameras. You may also find used cameras with floppies, smart media cards and microdrives

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:27 AM   #3

xD and the Memory Stick are proprietary. If you're only seeing cameras that support xD, it's becasue you're only looking at cameras from the companies that own the xD patents. And since xD cards only go as high as 2GB, while other flash memory card formats go much higher, even Fuji and Olympus are abandoning xD in favor of SD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote