Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:34 AM   #1

After many months of research. I'm treating myself to a Christmas present. I was thinking Nikon D-80 or Canon XTi....Now I see the Canon XS on the market. Less money, allowing me to spend more on lenses.

My background is: had a Minolta XGM 35MM years ago, various lens' and when it broke 4-5 years ago, I just jumped on the digital bandwagon and now want to get to that "next level" of recreation photography.....(Not professional by any means)

what is the big difference between the two Canon's? (XTi vs. XS)

My main focus (no punn intended) of getting a DSLR is for Sporting/Indoor events: Indoor basketball, school events, family party's...etc..

Not alot of nature/landscape shooting but occasionally I do...

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2

For the sports work - neither the Xti nor the XS is a great choice. For just a little more you can get the XSi camera (450d) - it has a much better focus system - which is important in sports. Probably the single most important attribute in the camera. The XSi is, IMO as a sports photographer, the best entry level camera for sports shooting on the market from any manufacturer.

For family parties I'm going to suggest the kit lens is fine - you'll just want to get an external flash (430exII).

For basketball - the 85mm 1.8 is a great lens to shoot from the baseline. On a budget, the $70 50mm 1.8 can be used under the basket but it only has about a 15 foot range and it's slow to focus so it's not a good long term solution. The $370 85mm 1.8 is a great step up.

School functions is another matter entirely. What equipment to use depends entirely on the type of function - there's no single answer. Some functions it's flash, if you're close enough to stage work the 85mm 1.8 works well. For more versatility a 70-200mm 2.8 lens ($850 for a sigma, $1100 for canon) works well if lighting is good enough.

The point is there is no out-of-the-box solution to solve all the needs you've specified. No DSLR with kit lens is going to accomplsh the basketball and school events.

In addition, you said sports (plural) but only mentioned basketball. If you want to shoot outdoor sports you'll need another lens entirely - neither the kit lens nor the 85mm will work for outdoor sports (both are too short).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:09 PM   #3

Interesting points.

Thank you. I'll use them as I forge ahead!
Homebrew5454 is offline   Reply With Quote