Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:35 PM   #1

Hi which of this ones you consider the best overall or what feature you like most of each one ?

Canon SX10 - Nikon P80, Fuji S8100FD , Panasonic FZ28 ?

I'm upgrading from a S5700/S700

cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2008, 8:52 AM   #2

What is the upgrade you're looking for? The only improvement I see in the cameras on your list is a bigger zoom. Unfortunately, all of those cams have more MP's packed into the same size sensor, resulting in a much higher pixel density than you alrerady have. Just a suggestion...why don't you toss the S8100 and substitute the S100fs to your list?

These are the features of the S100fs I consider to be an upgrade: A 2/3" sensor (which has a surface area more than double any of the other cams on your list), a manual zoom ring (you have to try that just once) as well as a manual focus ring, a shutter range of 30 sec to 1/4000 sec, a hot shoe, RAW capable, and a burst rate of 7 fps. And you can still use you xD cards in it.

Good luck with your decision.
the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Thank you "Hun"

But well the S100FS is very expensive for a P&S. Also I was looking at olympus 565UZ and Sony H50

I can go for a DSLR like the E-420 or D40 but really don't know if i want/need to make that huge step.

And actually i'm not upgrading the fuji S5700/S700 just I need something to replace it, cuz I give it to my sister.

So.. anyone want to help me, make the right decision.

cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:28 PM   #4

I'm also looking at the SX10, FZ28 and SP565. The FZ28 gets great reviews on the Internet. I visited four local camera stores and all for some reason recommended the SP565. I do like the SP565 for its super macro mode for extreme closeups and it has a cool panorama feature that automatically puts three photos together...however the FZ28 can zoom in video mode and uses different memory...but even with the xD card in the SP565 you should be able to get around 400 fine 10mp photos on one card....It's a toss-up with me and haven't decided yet. I also looked at SX10 but seems a bit large and heavy compared to the others. Also, the FZ28 does not have as good a warrantly as others that my local camera shop pointed out to me. I don't think the batteries makes a difference too much to me. I am leaning towad the SP565...was kindof waiting for Steve's review of it first. I like the 20x and super macro. Anyone else have opinions? Olympus vs. Panasonic vs. Canon?
00skyman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:50 PM   #5

Well here is a bit more input. I own and use the Panasonic FZ-28, the Nikon P-80, the Olympus SP-560, and the Sony H-50. All are good cameras, however, if low light level shooting is a priority, then the FZ-28 is clearly the winner.

Here is a FZ-28 no flash/low light level photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote