Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:32 PM   #1

Looking for your suggestion on my new xsi and what lens I should get for shooting hockey. While the hockey is relatively slow, the kids will get older and faster of course.

Wanting a 2.8F 70-200 I think but what kind for the value and performance

Tamron? Sigma?

cdorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2

Pending on the lighting condition. I'm shooting with a 135 2.0 @ iso 1600. I get reading values of 500 to a 1000. I set the +- EV value to 0. I used to shoot with my 70-200 L, and I find 2.8 a little slow unless you have a 40/50D shooting at iso3200. Oh another thing you'll find, for me anyway is that sometimes your pictures seem a stop or half stop darker, I think it has to do with the fluorescent light, I believe that sometimes the picture you capture is during the bulb's dimming cycle. If you can, try to avoid shooting through the glass, I find too many smudges on the glass ruin my shots, panning is difficult due to the support post between glass. Hockey is not a very camera friendly environment. Also you'll find parts of the rink is well lit and poorly lit. Regarding the sigma or tamron. I tried to shoot with a sigma 120-300 f2.8 the focus speed is not what i would like, especially for hockey.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:33 AM   #3

The Sigma 70-200/2.8 is probably the fastest to focus, but the Tamron is better optically. I handled the Tamron on my son's Nikon D300 and was impressed with the speed. And there's always the Canon 70-200/2.8 (~$1,050 after rebate) which outperforms both of them.

And as garman says, a fast prime will give you more leaway. But a zoom gives you more flexibility.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote